What are the specifications for operating a business from my home?
Home occupations shall include any professional and personal services meeting the standards and criteria stated below, but shall not include activities at the premises involving retail and wholesale sales and services, automotive or similar repair businesses, automotive body repair businesses or other such similar businesses.

A permit is required from the Community Development Department of the City. The home occupation must be clearly incidental and subordinate to the dwelling unit.

A home occupation permit cannot be transferred through the sale, leasing, or rental of the premises on which said home occupation is located or in any other manner.

Application for a permit shall contain the following:
a) Name of applicant;
b) Location of residence where the home occupation will be conducted;
c) Total floor area of the residence;
d) Area of room or rooms to be utilized in the conduct of the home occupation;
e) A sketch with dimensions(s) showing the floor plan and the area to be utilized for the conduct of the home occupation; and
f) The exact nature of the home occupation.

Any person may seek revocation of a home occupation permit by making application the the City. In the event that the City determines that the permit holder is in violation, the permit shall be immediately revoked.

All home occupations shall comply with the following standards and criteria before permits can be issued:
a) The home occupation shall be conducted only within the principal building.
b) No more than one (1) additional person other than the residents residing on the premises shall be employed at the premises.
c) There shall be no alteration or change to the outside appearance, character, or use of the building or premises or other visible evidence of the conduct of such home occupation, other than one sign not exceeding one (1) square foot in area, non-illuminated, mounted flat against the wall of the principal building.
d) No home occupation shall occupy more space than twenty percent (20%) of the total floor area of a residence, exclusive of any open porch, attached garage, or similar space not suited for or intended to be occupied as living quarters, provided, however, that in no event shall such home occupation occupy more than 500 sq ft.
e) No commodities or goods of any kind shall be sold on the premises, nor displayed on the premises for sale elsewhere.
f) No equipment or process shall be used in such home occupation which creates noise, vibrations, glare, fumes, odors, or electrical interference detectable to the normal senses outside the dwelling unit, nor shall there be any combustible materials located anywhere on the premises which might prove hazardous to the public's welfare. In the case of electrical interference, no equipment or process shall be used which creates visual or audible interference in any radio or television receivers off the premises or causes fluctuations in live voltage off the premises.
g) No articles or materials used in connection with such home occupation shall be stored on the premises other than in the principal building so used; limits herein established; (sic) however, the heights of these structures or appurtenance thereto shall not exceed the height limitations within any airport flight approach zone.

To find out where Home Occupations are permitted in Chandler, please see the Zoning section of the City's Code of Ordinances. You may contact the Community Development Department for assistance at 9903)849-6853.

Show All Answers

1. What are the specifications for operating a business from my home?
2. Does a contractor need to be registered in the City of Chandler?
3. Where do I get a Tax ID number?
4. What information do you need to submit for a building permit?
5. Do I need a permit for a garage sale?
6. Is a permit required for a fence?
7. Is a permit required for a swimming pool?
8. What telephone number can I call to request an inspection?
9. What is the ordinance for sign placement and are permits required?
10. What codes does the City currently use?